Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Sebastian's Trip To Seaport Village

Hello everyone! My name is Sebastian Bear. I am a Boyds Bear who actually was designed by the Head Bean himself with travels in mind! In fact, back in 2003, Boyds had a program where members (Friends of Boyds or FOBs for short) could receive me in the mail, take me around their hometown and then post pictures and stories of my travels on the Boyds Web site. In fact, you can read more about it on page five of the Boyds Bear Newsletter!

This evening, I had the pleasure of visiting Seaport Village with my family and loved every minute of it! Here are pictures as proof!

We started our visit with a YUMMY pizza!


As you can see, I'm quite a fan of pizza!


I'm very patiently waiting my piece!


Mmm...delish!


Oh my! We could go here next and that would be fine by me! :-)


Here's a friend I met along the way.


Look at what you can see for only a quarter!


A beautiful sunset!


This is as close to the water as I want to get!


My dear Sarah....


What a beautiful sky!


You can see (barely..or bearly!) the Coronado Bridge in the background.


My sweet family (and Chloe the Wonderdog!)


This nice friend hung out so I could take his picture!


After our walk, we went to Upstart Crow, a fun coffeehouse in Seaport Village.




Here's the story of the original "Upstart Crow":

The Original Upstart Crow

Many people inquire about the derivation of our unusual name. Here’s the story.

Coffeehouses were popular gathering places for literacy Londoners in the 16th center England. It was said that contemporaries of William Shakespeare grew jealous of his success and popularity. Robert Greene, a minor playwright at the time, was one such individual.

Green accused Shakespeare of stealing his material. However, since libel laws were enforced with cudgel and sword in those days, he did not name Shakespeare directly. Instead, Greene labeled Shakespeare “...an upstart crow, beautified with our feathers, that with his tiger’s heart wrapped in a player’s hide, supposes he is well able to bombast out a blank verse as the best of you...”

Today we strive to carry on the tradition of those vibrant Elizabethan coffee houses and to honor the original “Upstart Crow” who has inspired countless generations.
Enjoy yourself!

Well, I hope you enjoyed our visit to Seaport Village. Here's to more travels to come!


No comments:

Post a Comment